Warmer Kiwi Homes
Many kiwis are eligible for a subsidized heat pump installation in their home.
The government has committed to help low-income families achieve warmer and healthier homes. As part of this program the government will subside:
- 80% of the cost of an approved heater.
This could be a heat pump or an efficient wood/pellet burner for the main living area. Heater grants are capped at $3000 including GST.
In order to be eligible you need to:
- Own and live in a home built before 2008.
- Have a community services card or live in an area identified as low income.
- Have ceiling and underfloor insulation installed to EECA standards.
If your home has been insulated through a Government insulation programme, we’ll confirm it when you apply for a heater grant.
Otherwise an EECA insulation provider will do a quick check — at no cost to you.
- Have none of the following fixed heaters operational in any living area of the house: heat pump, wood or pellet burner, flued gas heater or central heating system.
If your home has one of these heater types, it is not eligible for a heating grant.